Wednesday 31 October 2007

#15 On Library 2.0 & Web 2.0

I made an effort to try and read all 5 of the perspectives on library 2.0. The iceberg comparison was probably my favorite, not only because what Rick Anderson was saying made sense, but also because it was an easy to read article. The others tended towards to long, boring and preachy. The thought that the 'just-in-case collection' is outdated especially rang true. If I was in charge of weeding the non-fiction, we'd never get rid of anything. (I'm a hoarder!) But the fact of the matter is that it's often quicker to jump on Google and find something than it is to find information in a book.

I agree with all the writers that libraries are changing to keep up with the evolving technology. We need to jump on the bandwagon and make sure that we cater to the younger generations. It does worry me that the older patrons will feel alienated and wont be able to access the resources that they are used to though. I think it would be fantastic if you could bring your ipod into the library and download e-books for instance, but how many grandparents do you know who have access to an mp3 player?

I'm all for moving forward as long as people don't get left behind.

1 comment:

Webgurl said...

I totally agree with your last comment about leaving people behind.

Cheers, webgurl